In an unsure and chaotic world of video game podcasting, only Bleeping Sickness can offer a strong and stable collection of fucking nerds arguing about which Star Ocean game was the best. Maybe not that strong. Or particularly stable, since this episode we’re talking about the games we became dangerously, life-ruiningly obsessed with. Full show notes below the jump!
00:01-17:23 Our customary catch up about the games we’ve been playing this week. It’s a masochism special: Mike doesn’t love himself and so has picked up Final Fantasy XV, Pete is having a one-man From Software marathon that’s reached Armoured Core 4, Sean has had a bad run of Overwatch and is sad about Hitman‘s apparent demise, and Tom is disappointed by the new season of Telltale’s The Walking Dead.
- Mike’s review of the Final Fantasy “Distant Worlds” concert is very good
- Amidst the sad Hitman news we also learned a new Thief game was on the horizon, which was apparently news to Eidos Montreal
- We’re not exaggerating about how glitchy Telltale’s engine is
17:33-18:13 The topic under discussion this week are games we got obsessed with: not only completed or sunk the advised How Long To Beat? number of hours into, but the ones which invaded our dreams, made us waste many hours which could have spent far more productively (like recording podcasts!), all that sort of psychologically healthy and not at all worrying stuff.
18:14-24:59 Pete’s obsession was Star Ocean 2, because Pete is the one who likes JRPGs no other sane person has ever played. His extended play time was mainly down to branching storylines and counterfeiting money.
- People arguing for and against the virtues of the game on Kotaku is surprisingly civil and engaging
- Unfortunately Square won’t be bringing the HD remake to the West, soz Pete
- How Long To Beat stats: 37 Hours (main story), 56 1/2 hours (main and extras), 119 hours (completionist)
25:00-30:00 Mike sunk a lot of time into Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU, which is probably why he rinses the rest of the Bleeping Sickness team on the Switch version. He also hit 100% on the seventh generation Pokedex, so maybe Mike has too much spare time? Let us know in the comments or @bleepsickness on Twitter!
- He seriously spent a lot of hours playing Mario Kart
- It’s always Waluigi time
- How Long To Beat stats: 5 1/2 Hours (main story), 16 1/2 hours (main and extras), 33 hours (completionist)
30:09-41:00 Tom’s wayward adolescence was spent mainly in front of a TV playing TimeSplitters 2, which accounts for his failing eyesight and absolute disdain for monkeys and love of Tracer in Overwatch.
- Maybe there’s still hope for a new TimeSplitters??
- Some Aussie filmmakers are crowdfunding a documentary about the GoldenEye game
- How Long To Beat stats: 11 1/2 Hours (main story), 27 1/2 hours (main and extras), 52 1/2 hours (completionist)
41:03- After the customary referencing of The Witcher 3, Sean knocks it out of the park with a story about how The Witness consumed his life when he was off work sick for a week.
- The NoClip documentary on the development of The Witness is very, very good
- Did…did Jonathan Blow make a catheter during crunch on The Witness? Or is that just Granny’s peach tea?
- How Long To Beat stats: 18 Hours (main story), 25 1/2 Hours (main and extras), 49 Hours (completionist), Neverending (Flu Hell)
We wrap up with the customary begging for Twitter followers and page views on recently-written posts (…we might have recorded this several weeks ago)
- Sean wrote about The Witness in both his 2016 end-of-year post and his article about video game tutorials
- Mike’s review of going to the “Distant Worlds” Final Fantasy performance in Amsterdam is a corker
- Tom seriously wrote a lot of words about Mafia III and its use/rejection of cinematic techniques
BONUS STAGE: Can you spot all the smooth edits where Mike’s off-colour jokes, which would push the limits of what even the EXPLICIT tag warns about, were removed? Good luck, sucker.